Bookish (and not so bookish!) Thoughts
Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts is a weekly blogging event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous. It allows book bloggers (and non-book bloggers) to write about pretty much anything, bookish or otherwise (i.e. share exciting plans for the weekend, rants on things they’ve encountered during the week, etc.).1. My daughter turned 11 on Sunday and I spent most of last week figuring things out and getting things ready for her party. (Full disclosure: I didn't get her anything until that Monday. Tweens are hard to shop for.)
2. Her party went well. We had it at a park and for once it did not rain or decide to be unbearably hot and humid. #swamplife (Well, sort of.)
3. I made peanut butter icing for half the cake and it was delicious! I don't like chocolate cake at all (and chocolate frosting is even worse), but it was tolerable with that delicious PB all over it. I used this recipe. This is the recipe for the cake.
4. School is starting soon and my daughter has some summer reading projects she has to finish up. It's not much work, but since she didn't really start on it until 2 weeks ago, it's been a daily fight. (We did take the time off for her birthday and now it's back to business.)
5. I am very behind on this blog. I put off writing a review (because of other things) and I've decided that I will either need to reread or scrap it completely. Right now leaning towards scrapping. It's a book I've read more than a few times so it's no big loss, but *ARGH* at myself! I have other reviews that are more fresh in my mind that need attention.
6. Can school start already?! I am so tired of the kids deciding that their new favorite hobby is tormenting each other. (They are 6.5 years apart and don't really have the same interests so they are clearly just looking for reasons to pick fights.)
7. Season 3 of Difficult People came out in Tuesday! I'm the only one I know who watches this show, but it made me happy.
8. Not sure how I originally left this out, but I made two cakes. The first one sort of exploded inside the oven (the inside bubbled out of the top and over the side of the pan onto the oven floor). Luckily, I woke up early enough that I had just enough time to make a new cake. (It was really close. I even put the cake in the freezer for the second portion of cooling. It was still just warm enough to melt the first part of the icing.) My husband and I did eat exploded and slightly under cooked cake for breakfast. (I had shipped the kids off to my dad's so they wouldn't be underfoot while I got things together.) It tasted more like a brownie than cake, but still delicious.
Until next time! .~*💝Shannon